ROMANIAN OIL & GAS INDUSTRY’S MILESTONES
- 1856 Lamp oil (kerosene) is first produced in Ploiesti,
to be used for street and home lighting in Bucharest.
- 1857 Romania is registered as the first country to have formally recorded an oil production of 275 tons
(mentioned by "The Science of Petroleum")
- 1861 The first Romanian oil well is to be drilled at a depth of
150 m using wooden rods and auger bits.
- 1882 Setting up of the Romanian Geological Bureau.
- 1895 Oil production is governed by the Mines Law.